Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Adios Adventure Travel Review - Juan Jose



Through my Cusco trip planning and google searches, Vidal kept popping up with good reviews. In the early planning stages, I was making all the arrangements and had no intention of hiring a guide; we always do everything ourselves and I assumed I could not afford Vidal's services. Then 2 weeks before we left, I was under quite a bit of work stress which was causing me to be out of sorts.  At the same time I came across Adios Adventure Travel. Then I realized it was Vidal's company. I figured it was meant to be. I started emails with Jacquie in the US and Vidal in Peru. Both promptly respond to emails and are very helpful. Even though it was more than I wanted to spend, I really felt I was in good hands - and booked 2 1/2 days of guided tours. I was hoping for Vidal to be our guide, but it was the last minute so of course he was already booked. He recommended his good friend Juan Jose. Now I too very highly recommend Juan!!  Of the 4-5 guides we used during our trip, he was an absolute highlight. He was a tremendous resource - he should write a travel guide!  He was extremely accurately knowledgeable about his ancestry - the Inca. He never contradicted himself. Staying with him for 2 1/2 days meant he built upon each story which was much better than hearing bits and pieces and repeats. We felt extremely safe with him. He was very protective of us, and always took charge and acted as our translator. He was extremely respectful of the environment and community, and very friendly - even with a great sense of humor. He is 100% responsible for our enriching experience.  I always have so many unanswered questions when I travel to another country - but thanks to him I had every question answered.  I learned so much about Peru and its people.  His English is excellent.  We had a great time with him!  My biggest regret was not continuing with him into the Inca Trail and into Machu Picchu - but I had no idea back in April that he even existed. 

One thing I felt strongly about was bringing school supplies to give to the kids in the Sacred Valley. When I asked Vidal and Jacquie for help with this, they arranged for us to stop at a school in Ollantaytambo where we could donate the suitcase of supplies we brought. 

Another perk was working with Jacquie in the US. She understands how Americans work and their expectations. She is thorough and prompt. Payment is easy since she is in the US - I was able to use PayPal and dollars. 

If you are looking for a guide or any services, I highly recommend you go through Adios Adventure Travel!



No comments:

Post a Comment